[ale] Linux compile taking *REALLY* long

Alfred Grahame Leach aleach at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Jul 17 13:56:30 EDT 1996

On Wed, 17 Jul 1996, Dan Newcombe wrote:

> How much memory do you have???  On my 386/33(DX) w/8M with the 1.3.81 kernel
> (probably about the same size) it took at least 2 hours.  Gee....I
> remember when the kernel was so small it took <30 minutes on that
> machine!!!
>
> However, your's sounds like it is going TOO slow.  Also, the step you
> listed (I think) is one of the first steps. (I think the kernel
> subdirectory is one of the first it hits.)

Sorry, I forgot to include that!  8 Meg of actual memory, 16 Meg of
virtual.  The first kernel I tried to compile (which had a bunch of stuff
in it) actually failed with an error about exhausting the virtual
memory.  Hope this helps somebody to help me!

TIA again

- Al

  | Al Leach              |  Georgia Tech              | Sailing is:       |
  | Graduate Student      |  College of Computing      |  hours and hours  |
  | MS, CS/Networking     |  Atlanta, GA 30332         |  of boredom,      |
  | email: aleach at cc.gatech.edu                        |  moments of sheer |
  | WWW: http://www.cc.gatech.edu/people/home/aleach   |  stark terror...  |
  |     < Georgia Tech - Olympic Village of the 1996 Summer Olympics >     |