[ale] linux libraries question

Steven A. Duchene sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com
Fri Jul 12 17:54:55 EDT 1996

Al Leach wrote:
> I'm in the middle of a RedHat (Picasso) installation, and I'm trying to
> compile a fairly simple C program to diagnose my NE2000-compatible
> network card.  The problem I've discovered is that there is no
> /usr/include/linux directory, and lots of the standard libraries include
> linux-specific libraries from this directory (like stdio.h and errno.h).
> Any ideas why this wasn't installed along with everything else?  Is there
> an easy way to get these libraries without jeapardizing the other parts
> of the system which now work?

First these are header files not libraries. Second did you install the kernel
source? Once you do I would hope that RedHat's install scripts would make
the link from /usr/src/linux/include/linux to /usr/include/linux. Other wise
you will have to make this link and the other one your self. This process
is detailed in the README file that is included in the kernel sources.

> Also, in configuring my network card (a MaxTech NX-16BT), I've found that
> there are no rc.inet files anywhere in the filesystem.  Is this
> indicative of a failed software installation or does RedHat use some
> other file name to record ethernet card hardware and addressing
> information?  I'm in the process of RingTFMs right now, but I figured I'd
> ask since I'm sending mail anyway...

Well the newer Linux distributions use SysVinit so there are different
ways the this stuff is done instead of with rc.inet scripts. Unfortunatly
the RedHat setup seems to be needlessly criptic with several levels of
indirection. I would look at the RedHat documentation to see if they have
any details on where this is done or perhaps someone else on the list
who is more familiar with RedHat's init scripts can help you out.

--
Steve DuChene              sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com               1-800-633-3600

	       The HP North American Response Center, Atlanta
		   X/Vue/xterminal/graphics support team
    		    I am an employee of Hewlett-Packard.