[ale] V's upgrade party!

Steven A. DuChene sad at sduchene.mindspring.com
Fri Jul 5 15:35:20 EDT 1996

Well after sounding out other folks at the latest ALE-Expo planning
meeting and listening to Vernard's enthusiastic wishes to upgrade
his system to the latest and greatest version of the kernel, we are
going to try to organise a August event for folks wishing to upgrade
their systems (or just show up with an interesting problem). Since the
Atlanta Unix Users Group has also cancelled their August meeting due
to the Olympic festivities, this was suggested as an alternative.
Since this isn't something we would want to get halfway done with then
say, "Opps, sorry look at the time! I have to get up for work tomorrow.
Hope your able to finish this on your own. :-(" It probably would be
best to hold it on a weekend to allow for enough time. Any suggestions
as to where to do this would be welcome.

BTW, if you plan on having your system upgraded for you by some
knowledgeable guru, forget it. There is not such thing. :-) Really,
we will probably start off with a short tutorial explaining what is needed,
how to go about getting started, things to watch out for, and then be
available for coaching/troubleshooting. I have most of the required software
on my system and I am sure others do also. So if any one is interested in
this speak up now, ask questions, provide details of what you want to do
if it is out of the norm (different than upgrading the kernel, libraries,
compiler (a.out to ELF) or X software), or have details of a possible venue.
--
Steven A. DuChene   Linux Weenie!  http://www.mindspring.com/~sduchene

		isollae - loneliness in the face of beauty
		    -- Sean Russell, "World Without End"