[ale] Re: $HOME/.signature

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Wed Feb 28 22:02:11 EST 1996

Hello,

root enscribed thusly:

> Is it possible to get mail to use a .signature file such as that
> which netscape uses.  I created one but it seems not to work.

	You failed to mention what mail user agent you wanted to
use here.

	As you can see below...  Yes it is possible.  I use elm and
have configured the option for automatically appending my ".sig" to
all of my messages.  If you are using pine or mush or some other end
mail user agent, then you just have to look up the configuration information
for that package.  They all support it in one form or another.

	This is not a "netscape" convention at all.  I've been doing this
with mail agents such as mush and elm for over 10 years now.  Netscape is
the "copy cat" here and the ~/.signature file is a long standing convention
that mail and news agents both recognize.  You just need to find the
signature configuration options.

> Thankx
> Christpoher Fowler

	Mike