Linux-Windows Networking

John M. Mills jmills at siberia.gtri.gatech.edu
Wed Feb 28 09:23:14 EST 1996

We have a net group using Net Buoy (sp?) between PCs running Win95, WinNT,
and (I assume) WfWG.  Before I dive into Samba, is that a suitable Linux
correspondent for this type net?  Any comments on what I would need our
net administrators to do would also be appropriate.  (Don't get snide here
-- it won't help!  I get heat for even _installing_ Linux, much less for
_running_ it.)

Could Samba be used to add other platforms to the net (like Solaris 2.4)?

The PCs are actually on the local GT net, and Net Buoy provides some degree
of resource sharing (eg, printers, CD drives) between them.  I just want
to play to the net, not manage it.  I currently run Linux 1.1.87 a.out, and
plan to go to 1.2.13 Real Soon Now ;^> and to ELF -- but I'm less sure
as to when I can face that changeover.

TIA --john mills--

John M. Mills, Senior Research Engineer   --   john.m.mills at gtri.gatech.edu
   Georgia Tech Research Institute, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0853
        Phone contacts: 770.528.3258 (voice), 770.528.7083 (FAX)
          "Lies, damned lies, statistics, and simulations."