rsh -- 'permission denied'

George M. Sipe gsipe at mindspring.com
Sat Feb 24 11:02:32 EST 1996

In your message you (Bing) wrote:

> I cannot get rsh to run between my two linux systems.  No matter what I
> try, I always get 'permission denied'.  It even says that in my adm/messages
> file, logged by rshd.  What am I doing wrong??

Check:
	- read manual pages:  rsh in.rshd
	- /etc/hosts.equiv or ~/.rhosts allow the access on the target sys
	  (use FQDN - fully qualified domain name;  if that doesn't work
	   also try simple hostname or dot quad)
	- /etc/inetd.conf line for in.rshd should not restrict ~/.rhosts (-l)
	- if you are running the tcp wrapper (tcpd spec'ed in inetd.conf),
	  then check hosts.allow and/or hosts.deny are setup properly

Testing:
	- see if you can rsh to the same system (as root and as user)
	- see if you can rsh to localhost (as root and as user)

> While I am at it, anybody here know if it is possible for me to backup my
> Windoze NT disk to a tape drive on a Linux box using Samba?

I use smbtar (or a scrip that calls smbclient with appropriate args) without
any problem for WFWG and W95.  WNT should work equally well.  Debug your
access to the WNT system first by getting smbclient to work.

I also use ksmbfs on WFWG systems without any problem (haven't tried others).

Good Luck,

George

--
George M. Sipe - gsipe at mindspring.com - Phone: (770) 447-4731