what are zombies

aesop aesop at main.inetnow.net
Mon Feb 19 10:52:00 EST 1996

You hit on what a zombie is - an entry in the process table.  Basically,
a process terminated and the parent process did not wait around.  In a
sense, a child process becomes a zombie when the parent will not
acknowledge the child's death ;-).  The resources (i.e. memory) have
already been deallocated, and the child sends a signal (SIGCHILD ??) to
the parent.  When the parent responds with a signal (not sure which one),
the entry is removed from the process table.

I'm sure someone else can provide a more technical explanation :-)

The greatest harm from zombies is that they can potentially fill up your
process table.  I do not know if there are any techniques in removing
zombies other than rebooting.  As you found out, kill -9 doesn't.  I'd
like to know if anyone knows other methods.

Hope this helps...

 On Mon, 19 Feb 1996, David Hamm wrote:

> I had a strange thing happen Saturday.  I tried to get in to my Linux box from home using ppp and it wouldn't answer, which in itself is unusual, once I got to the console I did a ps -x and noticed that several of the daemons were marked as  zombie.  I looked through the man pages and found nothing that clearly described what zombies are. Then I tried to kill -9 them but they would not unload from memory.  Any information would be helpful.
>
> Thanks
>
> David

Dogbert: Has your electronic mail system made you more efficient?
Dilbert: In a way... Now I'm getting ignored at the speed of light.
						-- Scott Adams