More Netscape Woes

aesop aesop at america.net
Mon Feb 19 09:22:46 EST 1996

Just an FYI, netscape has an option -install.  This allows netscape to
install its own colormap.  The colors will depend on where the focus
of your mouse is.  I do not know how much memory is used, but you may
want to give it a try if you think color allocation is the culprit.

  On Fri, 16 Feb 1996, UNIX Guru Dude wrote:

> }Memory is not my problem with Netscape 2.0:  I have 8M with 16M virtual,
> }and top shows me as only getting 3 or 4 megabytes into my swap when
> }starting Netscape.  When starting, I get a string of errors along the
> }lines of:
> }"Warning: cannot allocate colormap entry: "#0099FF"
> }
> }thanks----
> }wes
> }
> }
>
> Okay, I'm a bit new to X, but I know this problem can be caused by a few
> things I've done in the past.  If you have a background that uses a lot of
> different colors, for example a photo, then you may have used up all your
> available colors.  Now, this may not be the right terminology, but that's
> what it boils down to.  I was once told that you could limit the number of
> colors you use with some entry in .Xdefaults, but I don't recall what it was.
> Maybe someone else on the list will be more helpful.
>
> At this point, try running a generic X with very little color, say maybe a
> grey background and fire up netscape.  Sorry I can't offer more.
>

> --
> PS: Please don't finger geof at denali.is.net, it tickles......
>
> Until Later,
> Geoffrey Myers  geof at denali.is.net  eiger at ichange.com  gamyers at attmail.com
> 	http://www.ticllc.net/~geof

Dogbert: Has your electronic mail system made you more efficient?
Dilbert: In a way... Now I'm getting ignored at the speed of light.
						-- Scott Adams