XWindows Help

UNIX Guru Dude geof at denali.is.net
Sun Feb 18 23:42:43 EST 1996

}
}Hello Guys,
}	I purchased a package of Linux since November,1995 but now I
}still can not using XWindows. I tried so many times to setup it but never
}successful. I read both HOWTO and Linux manual and also usenet but I can
}not solve this problem. My problem is that when I type "startx" to
}startup the XWindows but there is an error message like below. This is my
}PC specification
}

# STUFF DELETED

}The error message when typed "startx"
}************************************
}
}> > > > xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): no server "X" in PATH
}> > > > Use the --option, or make sure that /usr/X11R6/bin is in your path
}> > > > and that "X" is a program or a link to the right type of server
}> > > > for your display.  Possible server names include:
}> > > > 	XF86_SVGA	SVGA color display on i386 PC
}> > > > 	XF86_Mono	MONO color display on i386 PC
}> > > > 	    .				.
}> > > > 	    .				.
}> > > > 	    .				.
}> > > > 	XF86_W32	Tseng ET4000/W32 color display on i386 PC

I believe you need to concentrate on the above error messages.  /usr/X11/bin/X
should be linked to one of the servers listed above, ie. XF86_SVGA, XF86_Mono.
If you are using Slackware, when you installed X, it should have prompted you
for various X servers.  You may need to reinstall to get the servers.  Look
in /usr/X11R6/bin for the servers named above.

# STUFF DELETED

}	I know that it is related to the X server but I do not know how
}to configure it. I tried to use XF86Config but there are some choices
}that I do not understant and do not know how to answer such as my monitor
}model which is 7CM5299 Philips. This model is not in the HOWTO or Linux
}manual so I do not sure about monitor model. There are the other mistake
}that I do not sure when I use XF86Config.
}	If anyone can solve this problem or have the same problem like me
}please mail to me.
}						Thank You
}
}