Removing lilo boot and Linux from disk

Randy Dunlap rdunlap at atlanta.nsc.com
Mon Feb 12 10:20:57 EST 1996

|From ale-owner at cc.gatech.edu Fri Feb  9 14:00:25 1996
|Date: Fri, 9 Feb 96 13:44:30 EST
|From: Jim Copenhaver - Atlanta- Northridge <jhcopenhaver at amoco.com>
|To: ale at cc.gatech.edu
|Subject: Removing lilo boot and Linux from disk
|Sender: owner-ale at cc.gatech.edu
|

|I remember recovering unused disk space for someone (years ago) that had
|installed microsoft's disk compression and deleted it off their system.  There
|was something in their book about how to recover the primary partition space.
|My dos 6.22 book has nothing about how to do it.  Evidently microsoft dosen't
|think it's necessary to document anymore (or no longer supports how it was
|done).  If anyone has an old dos book (5.0 +/- I think) and could check it,
|I would appreciate it.

I looked in the DOS 5.0 User Guide.  It has NOTHING about disk compression
(which I believe was called DBLSPACE in 5.0; now is called DRVSPACE--legal
issues with the implementation...).

I believe that they are implemented differently, but not being a user of
either of them, I can't say for sure.  DRVSPACE (in 6.x) doesn't seem to
use an FDISK-partition; it just creates HUGE file areas that it can
manipulate as it pleases.  At least that's what it looks like in the
docs.

Do you have some "files" or partition space that seems to have been used
by DRVSPACE?  For example, a file named DRVSPACE.000 would be a compressed
"volume" that is not accessible without loading DRVSPACE.BIN.

-Randy D.