PPP getting closer

UNIX Guru Dude geof at denali.is.net
Wed Feb 7 15:02:21 EST 1996

}
}Thanks to those suggesting that I need to work on my /etc/resolv.conf file.
}I looked at that, and will do so again.
}
}I did receive netmask and nameserver addresses with my account, but no
}gateway or net address -- I don't know if PPP can negotiate these, but
}there must be some such mechanism for MS Windows and Trumpet, to give
}two examples from the e-mail distribution.

You should be able to get things going with just a valid nameserver
defined in resolv.conf.

Netmask is not defined there, but you can define it in /etc/ppp/options,
I would suggest you did.  This can also cause problems.

}
}Does anyone know if pppd 2.1.2b can negotiate net and gateway addresses?
}Should I include 'defaultroute' in my /etc/ppp/options file?

Yes, you want this.  If you read the docs on this, this will set up your
default route in the routing table and remove it when pppd goes down.

I was having a similar problem to what you're having now and adding this
option corrected my problem.  I was setting up a network connection to
work and when I would telnet to my work machine I would get a 'network is
inaccessible' error.  Once I added the defaultroute option, the problem
went away.

}
}TIA -- john mills--
}