PPP getting closer (Was: Re: PPP(d), Phone Home!)

James W. Lynch jwl at atlanta.cray.com
Wed Feb 7 10:13:25 EST 1996

---------  Received message begins Here  ---------

> From ale-owner at cc.gatech.edu Wed Feb  7 09:48 EST 1996
> Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 09:46:30 -0500
> From: jmills at siberia.gtri.gatech.edu (John M. Mills)
> To: ale at cc.gatech.edu
> Subject: PPP getting closer (Was: Re: PPP(d), Phone Home!)
>
> Hello --
> I am setting up PPP by telephone from my home Linux to G.I.T.'s
> PPP rotor, _almost_ have it working.  Thanks to dsnyder and ZOT, I have
> gotten the link extablished, but here I am hung up again.
>
> I am able to set up the ppp link, and to ping the remote host, but am not
> able to resolve names or reach other internal (G.I.T.) or external net hosts.
> I suspect I am never successfully negotiating a gateway.  Suggestions welcome.
>
> I'm running Linux 1.1.87 and pppd 2.1.2b.  Unless there is some known
> problem here, I'ld like to stay with that combo 'til PPP works.  I attach
> ping and ppp-log excerpts, and my rc.inte1 and /etc/ppp/options files.
>
> Sorry about the long lines in the attached material, but I wanted to
> show it as issued by my box.
>
> Thanks --john mills--
>
> **************<Begin Battle Report>**************

(snip)

You probably have to edit your /etc/resolv.conf file.  Be sure to
put the nameserver entry into it.  Mine here at work looks like:

domain cray.com
search cray.com
nameserver 128.162.46.1

It looks very similar on the Linux box I have at home that I use PPP
to get to my ISP.

Jim.

Jim Lynch, Sales Analyst,  Cray Research, Inc. / ARS: K4GVO
Southeast District, Phone: (770) 631-2254, Email: jwl at cray.com
Suite 270, 200 Westpark Drive, Peachtree City, GA 30269