[ale] I' so glad I have Red Hat support!

John M. Mills jmills at bismarck.gtri.gatech.edu
Mon Dec 16 09:36:36 EST 1996

I have not been successful installing the "Official Red Hat Linux 4.0"
distribution from the "boxed set" distribution.  The problem is that my
CDROM is the benighted Phillips LMS cm206.  Depending on your reading of
the Red Hat archives, this drive is a ".. supported device;  if it does
not work this is a bug ..."  or ".. a supported device*//* The [cm206 CD]
drive is supported if you rebuild the kernel./"  [PARAPHRASED -- not quoted.]

Rebuilding the kernel to support the cm206 is of course no problem.  Patches
for this have been out for at least a couple of years and this drive is
supported by the 2.0.x "make config" script.  Building a RH 4.0 _installation_
_diskette_ which supports the cm206, however, is quite another item.  I've
yet to see it done.  (Greg G's. last effort of Friday failed, sadly.)

I thought I would share Red Hat's closeout message on my problem report,
received today. It's a long note compared to the kernal [sic #;-)] of content,
IMHO but it reads better that way: