[ale] Re: 3.0.3/updates/bash & util-linuxfix (S)RPMS?

Ed June buggz at america.net
Sun Aug 25 12:46:08 EDT 1996

On Sun, 25 Aug 1996 14:18:55 +0200, Franz Sirl wrote:

>>>I had the same problem here. The mount-tools have been removed from the
>>>util-linux package and moved to a separate mount package. Get and install
>>>it and everything is OK again.
>>

>>How?
>>My system is now booted read only, guess w/ the original install disk ?
>>I really don't see a way around this.
>
>As long as you have your rpm's on the mounted partition, you can type
>"Linux rw" or "Linux single rw" at the lilo bootprompt and reinstall the
>old util-linux. Otherwise you have to use the install/boot disk method.
>That situation was the main reason why I'm finally installed yard, the
>rescue disk tool.

The Linux single rw kinda works.
What I HAD to do was to install a new CND sysem on another
  scsi hdd that I luckily had just laying about.  I didn't want to
  overwrite my broken, but usable data system.
I then cp'd the rpms from on hdd / to the other using the
  install floppy.
Then I rpm'd -U --force the rpms.
Now, it complains of basename, can't find /lib/something4
I stupidly cp'd basename from the floppy to /bin earlier
  in an attempt to fix.
Now, what package is basename in ?

Ed June   TeamOS2

Fidonet:   1:133/9009, Atlanta's OS/2 Users Group BBS/FAX, 770-471-1549
Internet:  buggz at america.net