[ale] ppp from Windows95 to Linux -- FIXED (almost)

Christopher Fowler cfowler at www.topform.com
Wed Aug 14 08:17:12 EDT 1996

> Well, it finally works.  It turns out that all that was needed was for me
> to add the proxy arp entry using arp -s and add a route entry to forward
> packets received to the ppp interface.  I did this unsuccessfully many
> times this afternoon, but it works now.  In my hacking I noticed that the
> MAC address corresponding to my ppp machine's IP address was unfamiliar
> this afternoon - I think what's happening is that somebody is using my IP
> address, and now (after hours) they're gone and this works.  I'll spend
> tomorrow hunting them down and flogging them :-).
>
> Thanks again for all the help.  Hopefully, this will be the last
> message about this topic...
>
> - Al
>
>   +-----------------------+----------------------------+-------------------+
>   | Al Leach              |  Georgia Tech              | Sailing is:       |
>   | Graduate Student      |  College of Computing      |  hours and hours  |
>   | MS, CS/Networking     |  Atlanta, GA 30332         |  of boredom,      |
>   +-----------------------+----------------------------|  punctuated by    |
>   | email: aleach at cc.gatech.edu                        |  moments of sheer |
>   | WWW: http://www.cc.gatech.edu/people/home/aleach   |  stark terror...  |
>   +----------------------------------------------------+-------------------+
>   |     < Georgia Tech - Olympic Village of the 1996 Summer Olympics >     |
>
> On Tue, 13 Aug 1996, Alfred Grahame Leach wrote:

Why must one use arp?  Does the new kernels i.3.85 and above not do it for you?
This is a majot problem I had with dip.

Thanks,
Christopher Fowler
To contact me:  cfowler at www.topform.com
Computer Software, INC. * 303 Research Drive * Norcross, GA 30092
Phone: (770) 448-1484 * FAX: (770) 448-3949
http://www.topform.com * http://www.topform.com/~cfowler