[ale] ppp question (fwd)

Geoffrey Myers geof at denali.is.net
Tue Aug 13 00:29:39 EDT 1996

Apologies in advance for the extensive discussion below regarding Windows
95.  With that said, got my asbestos undies on.....

}dZothMuellarg mumbled incoherently:
}>
}> My guess is one of the twwo ends is sending ppp packets before the
}> other end is ready.
}>
}> Either that or baud rates are off.
}>
}> Do you get any user name attempts?  Can you set Windows 95 to look for
}> a new word?
}
}Interestingly, my Win95 box connected gleefully to my ISP (who, amusingly
}enough, is using Linux) via the same PPP connection my Linux box did.  BUT!
}Here's the interesting bit... My ISP doesn't use normal prompting for
}password, name, etc... and he's got an extra prompt at the beginning.  Not
}only didn't I have to do any configuration under Win95 ...................

I've connected via Win95 to my ISP and to my work location using whatever
the default chat strings Win95 uses.  The bizarre part is that both expect
substantially differnent stuff.

You can set Win95 to log ppp connect activity, so you might be able to figure
it out from there.

}............................................, I can't even locate an OPTION
}under Win95 for "Look for this search string."

We are using Windows 95 to connect via ppp to work for telecommuting.  My
understanding is that if you are unable to connect via ppp with whatever
Win95 uses for chat strings, then you must set the option to have a terminal
screen open up so you can enter the required info by hand (every time).

You can download a patch from Microsoft's homepage to enable the use of
chat scripts for both PPP and SLIP.  DISCLAIMER: I saw it there, downloaded
it, have not used it.

}
}This leads me to believe that perhaps Win95 believes in pap or chap
}authentication, or at least SOME sort of auto-detection and response...
}because there's no way my 95 box is reading the screen and thinking "oh,
}here i should type 'ppp' to start the connection!".  Anyone with a little
}more 95 experience out there than me want to confirm/deny this?  I'm going
}to try to configure chap/pap on my end and see if my Linux box will connect
}without a visible 'chat' script active (except for the actual dialing
}bit.)... If not, I'm kinda curious as to what sort of autodetection there
}IS for PPP connections.  Especially since my ISP's end is a Linux box.  :)
}
}(For that matter, does pap/chap initiate in response to a signal-byte or
}the like?)
}
}--
}   finger for PGP key -*- lorimer at alliance.net -*- Vote Brain/Pinky in '96!
}     Key fingerprint =  D1 6E A2 69 CF 60 C6 90  3D 34 BE 05 87 B8 12 C8
}          "I toasted the enemy, cursed the flag, saluted the glass
}           and dashed the King in the fireplace."  - Sir Rodney

--
Until later:
Geoffrey Myers   geof at denali.is.net   Unix.Guru.Dude at worldnet.att.net
	http://www.ticllc.net/~geof  or http://denali.is.net/~geof

	Opinions expressed by me are mine, all mine, only mine.....