[ale] Networkin and Sendmail

Steven A. DuChene sad at sduchene.mindspring.com
Thu Apr 18 22:48:00 EDT 1996

On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, tony mancill wrote:
> > CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE will kill the X-server.  Also, it's a good idea to
> > leave a getty running for one of the "virtual" terminals (ALT-F1, etc.)

charlie replied:
> Maybe I didn't say exactly what i meant, but Ctrl-alt-bs didn't even shut
> the server down.  What would hooking up a terminal mean?  What can I
> deduce from that?  And how would I go about doing it?

	If the Xserver is hung you will NOT be able to do any keyboard input!
	No Ctrl-Alt-<- or Ctrl-Alt-Del   That is why it is real hard to tell
	if the whole machine is hung or just the Xserver. By hooking up a
	terminal or network connection you can positively check to see if it
	is still possible to communicate with the machine/system that may still
	be running under the Xserver.

--
Steven A. DuChene       Linux Weenie!    http://www.ysu.edu/~sduchene

		isollae - loneliness in the face of beauty
		    -- Sean Russell, "World Without End"