[ale] [ALE] Happy Birthday BASIC

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu May 23 10:05:14 EDT 2024

Boris Borisov via Ale said on Mon, 20 May 2024 11:34:57 -0400

>"On the other hand I often taught a ten-week course in FORTRAN to
>students who already had BASIC ..."
>
>I couldn't agree more.
>
>I had Pascal class in university. Just knowledge of variables, loops,
>if then statements all that from Basic gave me upper hand in this
>class.

You're right. I learned *rudimentary* Fortran on punch cards circa 1971
(and this bastard Fortran wannabe called IITRAN before), so I knew the
existence of variables, loops and branching. This helped me immensely
when I took Pascal in 1983.

>I wrote a lot of Pascal programs for the cute girls in my group:)

Yeah, that's always been an advantage of being a top dog coder in
college.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21