[ale] Happy Birthday BASIC

Bob Toxen transam at verysecurelinux.com
Sun May 19 14:16:08 EDT 2024

In school, for fun, I wrote an enhanced BASIC compiler (not interpreter) that had real subroutines and
could invoke most of UNIX's system calls.  It spit out assembly code that was extremely fast, as fast
as any other compiler ... on the first 11/70 running UNIX.

There were some other BASIC compilers around.  I wrote mine in Assembly 'cause I didn't know C yet.

A clever interpreter should pre-compile the source and run that until the source is altered.

Bob Toxen

C++ is history repeating itself as a tragedy.
Java is history repeating itself as a farce.

"Microsoft: Unsafe at any clock speed!"
   -- Bob Toxen 10/03/2002

On Fri, May 17, 2024 at 11:08:37AM -0400, Jim Kinney via Ale wrote:
> For number crunching, engineering math, FORTRAN.
A good combination of easy to code in and very fast.