[ale] Ansible and Python comment?

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 13:00:31 EDT 2024

On 6/19/24 11:48, Steve Litt via Ale wrote:
> Leam Hall via Ale said on Wed, 19 Jun 2024 08:01:51 -0500
>
>> Didn't I see a note somewhere about Ansible dropping support for older
>> versions of Python that are still used on current RHEL systems? I'm
>> trying to find out more, anyone know?
>
> I don't know, but if by "older versions of Python" you mean 2.x I think
> any software written in Python 2.x should be kicked out of every
> distro. Python 2.x was deprecated over 10 years ago, so there's no
> excuse for Python 2.x anymore.
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt

If I understand correctly, it was several versions of Python 3.x. RHEL 7 is still in maintenance phase, but not much longer, and uses Python 2.7.

What the developers deprecate, and what industry uses, seem totally unrelated. I understand a few reasons why developers don't want to keep supporting older versions, and I understand why Linux versions use open source components. The issue may be that development is accelerating faster than enterprise Linux versions can transition. Maybe it's time for a more stable language?

Leam

--
Site Reliability Engineer  (reuel.net/resume)
Scribe: The Domici War     (domiciwar.net)