[ale] Is PHP the easiest way to make a web application?

Ron admin at bclug.ca
Wed Jun 5 04:46:38 EDT 2024

On 2024-06-04 19:10, Leam Hall via Ale wrote:

> Pretty much all general purpose languages seem to use JS frameworks for
> customizing the page and tying in CSS, etc.

This is exactly correct.

If there's much user interaction with the page(s) beyond an occasional
button click, JS is required lest users bale.

JavaScript will:

* refresh page content without a full page reload
* update CSS on the fly
* make the page feel *fast* (all logic is loaded in the browser up front)

Also, accessibility features can be probed and supported, such as:

* allow the site to support dark mode if the user's OS defaults to that
* allow the user's OS animation level to be supported (i.e. transition
timings can be set to zero if user does not want any)

I like ReactJS (on top of Node though), although things like Nextcloud
are pretty awesome with PHP and Angular JS.

rb