[ale] Saving electricity with Linux

jon.maddog.hall@gmail.com jonhall80 at comcast.net
Sun Jun 2 00:36:44 EDT 2024

One more thought on this....there comes a time when optimization of a problem is not worth it.   We have probably all been there.  But to get a factor of two or thee out of a problem may be "good enough".

OK, one story:

I was in Auckland one year when the Alpha systems had just come out and I was called to the office of a physicist who was trying to solve a problem.

On a VAX workstation one iteration of the problem would take three weeks of constant running.  The issue was that Auckland was having blackouts that year on the average of one a week, and when that occurred he would have to start his program all over again.   He had been an entire year without a single successful run of his program.

We gave him the Alpha, which would run the program about three times faster, which meant that there was a really good chance that he would get a number of iterations of his program to run that year.

As we were leaving I asked him why he did not implement "checkpoint/restart" in his program, and he said:

"What is that?"

I explained what it was and how to do it, and as we left the room I saw him with his head in his hands mumbling "checkpoint/restart...checkpoint/restart".

I really did not want to tell him the other thing that came to my mind, since it might have sent him over the edge:

"Uninterruptible Power Supply"

Good night!