[ale] Would you mind critiquing a container build HOWTO?

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 17:29:01 EDT 2024

On 6/30/24 21:14, Mark Ulmer wrote:
> Leam,
> I've run into the same issues... I just could not get systemctl enable and start commands to work.  Here is the final docker file that works. I added yum update.
>
> FROM amazonlinux:latest
> RUN yum update -y
> RUN yum install -y iproute sysstat procps-ng httpd
> EXPOSE 80
> CMD ["httpd","-D","FOREGROUND"]
>

> I suggest also adding the docker run example to your HOWTO.
>
> docker run --name amzl_web -p 8080:80 docker.io/library/amzl_web

Mark, I like the adds you gave, thanks! I also want to figure out how to run it without a daemon like httpd. Haven't gotten there yet, but I'm still playing with it.

On 7/2/24 15:42, Steve Litt via Ale wrote:
> 1) Are you saying I can run an Amazon Linux container on my desktop
>     computer, without involving Amazon?

Yup. You can download the container and run it under Docker. It's a stupid-level bare bones image, but it is Linux.

> 2) What is the relationship between an Amazon Linux container and AWS?

Amazon Linux is usually used in AWS EC2, that's the genesis of my experiment. I want to play with the image locally before putting anything up on AWS. That'll save me some potentially expensive experimenting.

--
Site Reliability Engineer  (reuel.net/resume)
Scribe: The Domici War     (domiciwar.net)