[ale] Ancient desktop

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Wed May 10 08:10:44 EDT 2023

Hey Jon, cool story.

I never met Patrick, but it sounds like I'd want to. Too few decent humans these days. My wife was an E-1 (low pay) in the USAF at the time, and I couldn't afford Win 3.11/WfW. After an abortive attempt at OS2/Warp, she let me buy "Linux Unleashed", with the Slackware CD in it. A friend gave me a used Mitsumi single speed CD-ROM, and it took all night to compile the kernel on my i386.

O'Reilly's "Essential System Administration" was my learning path of choice, and each time I read through it, I seemed to have a different highlighter color handy. It wound up with half a dozen colors inside, and went with me on vacations.

And then I found Linux magazine...

Leam

On 5/10/23 00:57, Jon "maddog" Hall via Ale wrote:
> OK Chuck.....since you mentioned me then told a great story....
>
> I too was a user of Slackware (and I will tell anyone who will listen what a fine human being Patrick V. is) so I was downloading and installing the 150+ floppy images of an early release of Slackware.  Only I was too CHEAP to buy 150+ diskettes, so after I had downloaded 75 and installed them I started reusing the first diskettes and (of course) diskette ~85 malfunctioned and O had to start the whole process over again.
>
> As I sat there cursing I happened to see an article about this little company that made a distribution that booted off CD-ROM.
>
> I did not have a CD-ROM at the time (remember that the first ones attached to your audio card) but I ran out THAT NIGHT and bought it along with a PC magazine that had that distribution in it.
>
> And that is how I started using Red Just.
>
> On Tue, May 9, 2023, 22:31 Chuck Payne <terrorpup at gmail.com <mailto:terrorpup at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     DJPfulio, the good ole Walcreek CD Packs, I still have mine ( and my FreeBSD ones as well). Slackware was my first distro, I have my book from Matt Welsh that Patrick signed for me. One of my biggest Geek treasures along with my Linux License plate, that I got from the other geek that goes by Maddog gave me at the the Atlanta Linux Showcase.
>
>     I wish I had known about ALE at that time. I was alone learning this stuff. As Maddog states, X was a nightmare and don't get me started on compiling software. The pain of spending all weekend compile a kernel so that it can support S3 Diamond, only to have it blow out my cheap 17" monitor, that I had hiked in the snow because I lived at the bottom of hill and wanted a PC monitor for my Linux install.
>
>     Ugh! I had no programming background here. I am trying to understand how to use configure to make sure I had all the libraries for getting AfterStep running on my Slackware install because TWM SUCK!!!  I had no clue that AfterStep was based on NextSTEP. What was worse, I wasn't a PC user, I was a Mac Head and I had to learn how to format a disk to work on a Linux box, Mac OS was a pain to deal with DOS or Fat formats, . and because I had a roommate and one phone line, I usually stayed late at the office to use their internet and the PC to get my disk, lucky my boss was cool with me doing that because I kick off 200 to 300 CAD prints for our field offices.

> [...]

Automation Engineer        (reuel.net/resume)
Scribe: The Domici War     (domiciwar.net)
General Ne'er-do-well      (github.com/LeamHall)