[ale] Ancient desktop

Jon "maddog" Hall jon.maddog.hall at gmail.com
Tue May 9 14:58:57 EDT 2023

>Just the simple change from "running this may destroy your
>monitor" to "it just works out of the box" for X is huge.
Much of this was due to the change of ISA bus to PCI bus and the associated
changes to the functionality of the hardware.

There was not much information handed back when the CPU probed a card on
the ISA bus, so you had to edit the config file to supply that information.

The monitor being destroyed was mostly due to lack of power limiting
circuitry.  As the scan rate increased more and more power was pulled
through the circuitry eventually heating it up to flames.   This happened
more times after the monitor was separated from the system it was designed
for and was paired with other controller boards which would attempt to
drive it at higher scan rates.   Later "multi-scan" monitors eliminated
that problem.

md