[ale] Strong home wireless router?

DJPfulio at jdpfu.com DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Sun Jun 4 10:34:27 EDT 2023

On 6/3/23 23:32, Solomon Peachy via Ale wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 03, 2023 at 10:01:00PM -0400, DJPfulio--- via Ale wrote:
>> There is no such thing as strong security when RF is involved.  If
>> you want strong security AND wifi, then you'll need to use a full
>> IPSec VPN.
>
> You really need to quality "strong" in terms of threat vectors.

A few years ago (perhaps 3?), a flaw in wifi was discovered that had been in the code since the beginning - over 20 yrs.

My CMMI training says, that if 1 bug is found, there's an 86% likelihood of another bug existing in the same software.

If you want strong security, assume the protocols have bugs (known and unknown) and take necessary steps to mitigate those.  1 method is to use a full VPN. IPSec is the most secure VPN today.

If you just want to protect against the neighbor's kid and don't want to worry about more sophisticated attacks, that's fine, but that wouldn't count as "strong" in any book on security as a description for wifi security.

YMMV.

Where I've worked, we never trusted wifi without our corporate VPN, using 2FA, even on systems that we'd provisioned inside our buildings. This was the requirement by our data security team which wasn't exactly small for this F-10 company.