[ale] Strong home wireless router?

DJPfulio at jdpfu.com DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Thu Jun 1 12:04:16 EDT 2023

> On 5/31/23 5:38 AM, Leam Hall via Ale wrote:
>> Hey all, any suggestions on a strong home wireless router? Our
>> internet will come in through the provider's modem, but I don't
>> want to use their wifi. I have an ASUS RT-ACRH18, but am not sure
>> how secure it is.

Ubiquiti stuff is good, if you can get passed some "features" that use a central Java-based server for configuration.  The last one I used had an android app to configure and update the firmware.  The coverage provided exceeded all my other wifi-routers.

I'm not in the wifi-AP market, so I don't know the current ubiquiti models. They would be on my very short list.

I prefer keeping routing separate from wifi APs.  My router HW is coming up on 10 yrs old. It runs opnsense. I don't have any plans to replace it.  For WIFI, the standards/capabilities seem to change drastically every 5 yrs, so swapping in a newer wifi AP isn't a big deal and doesn't require major changes to the router.

The best location for a wifi-AP is seldom the ideal location for a router. That's another consideration.