[ale] Did I lose my windows partition ?

Bob Toxen transam at verysecurelinux.com
Sat Jan 28 16:25:36 EST 2023

First, proceed with extreme caution.  It is very easy to trash a file system if
you make a mistake.  Your questions suggest that you are not experienced with
system administration to seek out someone who is.

The partition table stores whatevery file type you select, such as NTFS or Linux, as
a 1 byte value.  The actual data stored in that partition (if any) may be of any type you
(or the manufacturer) wrote to it.

Most actual partition types indicate the actual type in the first few bytes of that partition's data
(not to be confused what is in the partition table).

The fdisk program tells you what is in the partition table and can be used to change that
to what actually corresponds to what is in the partition.

The parted program says what actually is in the partition.  Clearly that is ext4.
You could use fdisk (carefully!) to change the partition table to Linux to correspond
to what actually is in the partition.

If said partition is /dev/sda1 you can confirm the actual data is an ext4 file system
with the following command which will read the first few byes of the partition
(not the partition table) to determine the type of file system

  file - < /dev/sda1

which should say

  /dev/stdin: Linux rev 1.0 ext4 filesystem data (needs journal recovery) (extents) (large files) (huge files)

You might also do the following to check if the file system is ok or corrupted but probably should
do control-C if it wants to make any corrections.  In that case get someone who knows file systems.

  fsck -f /dev/sda1

Be careful and good luck,

Bob