[ale] dd vs clonezilla to replace hard drive

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Jan 1 03:45:02 EST 2023

DJPfulio--- via Ale said on Sat, 31 Dec 2022 06:47:48 -0500

>On 12/31/22 03:54, Steve Litt via Ale wrote:
>> This is what I do. I do so using the following command:
>>
>> xbps-query -m > packages.sh
>
>I suspect you've assumed a specific distro or flavor.

Not assumed. I use Void Linux, which uses xbps instead of apt.

>My restore process (or migration into a NEW OS) is 4 major steps:
>1) Base install
>2) Restore all HOME directories
>3) Restore selected system settings and data (say nginx configs and
>DBMS data) 4) Feed the ~/apt-manual-list, into APT for installation.

The preceding is almost identical to what I do...

1) Base install

2) Install manual packages

3) Restore the old home directory to (in my case) /scratch/oldhome

4) Replace certain files in /etc, backing up the as-installed ones.

5) Over time, copy files from /scratch/oldhome to /home/slitt, as
   needed.

The installation of my packages takes about 8 hours because I have a
lot of packages:

================================
[slitt at mydesk reminders]$ xbps-query -m | wc -l
690
[slitt at mydesk reminders]$

By the way, very little of my data goes in /home/slitt. Data I back up
goes in /d and /s. Less important data I don't back up goes in
/scratch. If I were married to LFS I'd have ~/d, ~/s, and ~/scratch.
Because very little of my data goes in /home/slitt, most of my stuff in
/scratch/oldhome is throwaway junk, especially all the cache.

SteveT

Steve Litt