[ale] Slightly OT: Android EUFY air tags limitations

neal at mnopltd.com neal at mnopltd.com
Fri Feb 10 09:54:05 EST 2023

FYI, there was a bit of a splash in the Android world when the EUFY
tracker tags were announced.    "Works with Android AND iPhone".

We jumped on that, primarily 'cause we have an upcoming cruise and were
hoping to give ourselves an edge if our bags were lost on the way to
Galveston the day before embarkation.

Well, We've been attempting to test them these last few days, and have
gone through 5 perky interchanges with their support people, who, while
not strictly speaking "hostile witnesses", are really trying to not
communicate the limitations.

To save fellow Android users, here is my last attempt to tease out the
facts:

Ok, the limitations of the EUFY tag ought to be stated in a clear FAQ.
My goal is simply to locate my two pieces of luggage after I land in
Texas before I have to get on a cruise ship.

Here is what I am coming to understand:

A) For nationwide tag location, the android app is totally useless, as
there are insufficient numbers of devices running the android app.

B) The EUFY tag can be loaded into an Apple IOS smartphone via their
normal Find My capability.   This then makes use of a large number of
iPhones in use. Their collective Bluetooth range is what makes tags
viable.

C) There is NO LINK between EUFY cloud services and Apple Cloud services
w.r.t. Tag location.

D) Your response below suggests that the EUFY app must be installed on
an iPhone.   Installing a 3rd party app is a lot to ask of a friend.
It is unclear what that EUFY app is going to accomplish.

Based on what I understand above, if all I want to do is occasionally
locate airline luggage, then what I should do is give these two tags to
my friend that has an iPhone, load them into Find My, and occasionally
borrow them for trips.  Then if lost, I have to call my friend Max and
say "Hey Max, where do you see my tags?".

You would have far fewer questions like this if you were clearer about
the limitations up front.