[ale] ip address on br0 but not on eth0

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Feb 3 01:28:32 EST 2023

Narahari Lakshminarayana via Ale said on Thu, 2 Feb 2023 18:17:50 -0500

>Folks:
>
>I am trying to get some networking knowledge.  I was setting up a
>bridge and what I see is that I do a br show and I get the ip listed
>there 192.168.0.80
>
>However the eth0 of the VM (not the host) shows no ip address.
>
>The MAC on the br0 has a reference to  the eth0 but no ip on the eth0
>entry.
>
>It is so confusing. I thought the eth0 will have ip and not the br0
>entry.
>
>In physical connections, the computer will have ip aka the either nic
>will have ip, not the switch or the hub right.
>
>In VM world this br0 comes in the middle and confuses everything.
>
>Isnt br0 in VM world, the equivalent of switch in real world ?

See "Steve Litt's No Bullshit Guide to LAN-Peer Qemu VMs" at
http://troubleshooters.com/linux/qemu/nobs.htm .

Just about every other supposed "VM networking guide" on the Internet
is either half baked fakery or written so ambiguously as to be
meaningless.

SteveT

Steve Litt