[ale] ip address on br0 but not on eth0

Narahari Lakshminarayana itsme.narahari at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 18:17:50 EST 2023

Folks:

I am trying to get some networking knowledge.  I was setting up a bridge
and what I see is that I do a br show and I get the ip listed there
192.168.0.80

However the eth0 of the VM (not the host) shows no ip address.

The MAC on the br0 has a reference to  the eth0 but no ip on the eth0 entry.

It is so confusing. I thought the eth0 will have ip and not the br0 entry.

In physical connections, the computer will have ip aka the either nic will
have ip, not the switch or the hub right.

In VM world this br0 comes in the middle and confuses everything.

Isnt br0 in VM world, the equivalent of switch in real world ?