[ale] (OT) Artemis launch watch

Jeremy T. Bouse jeremy.bouse at undergrid.net
Tue Sep 6 09:31:25 EDT 2022

I studied for my exam with
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.hamstudy.mobile&hl=en_US&gl=US
(HamStudy), which covers all 3 exams. It is put out by the same group that
puts out the ExamTools that the local ARC used to administer the exams. I
believe there's an Apple Store version as well I just don't use an iPhone,
so don't have the link handy.

I think I studied an hour or so each day while relaxing in the living room
for a week on Tech and taking a practice test daily, then I studied and
took a daily practice test for the General for about 3-4 days before I went
to sit the exam. I was very confident about the Tech and a coin toss for
the General when I sat it. I passed both 32/35, but as I hadn't even
started to look at Extra I didn't opt to try taking it. I've been busy with
work so I haven't studied much lately for the Extra but do intend to sit it
at one of the next monthly club meetings once I get some time to study.

As for Steve's question, I do use the HT to communicate over the local
repeaters in range. I can't always reach the Orlando repeaters except when
I'm up at Disney World, but then I'm capable of hitting the WA2UPK, which
is linked to the East Coast Reflector and have had conversations with other
hams around the country. The local senior community that my MIL lives in
has a radio club that I'm an associate member of has a repeater and runs
daily nets that I join when I'm not missing them because I worked late.
Unfortunately looks like the community my wife and I are building our house
doesn't have many hams nearby so will probably need to work out a stealth
antenna situation as HOA rules don't allow antennas.

On Tue, Sep 6, 2022 at 8:54 AM Jerald Sheets via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> Jerald Sheets
> questy at gmail.com
>

> On Sep 5, 2022, at 11:59 AM, Steve Litt via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>
> Yes, because no license, and also because I haven't the time to speak to
> others on
> the radio. I don't have the time to construct/buy an antenna. Heck, I
> don't even
> have the time to get a license.
>

> I stand corrected.   You sure sounded  like an op.
>
> Just a point of information:  I downloaded an app and ran the tests for
> about a month in the mornings while having coffee, went in and sat for my
> test one random Tuesday evening, and got both my Technician and General
> that way, acing the General…  It doesn’t take that much effort.  Or, at
> least, it takes less effort than you would guess.
>
> Tech:
>
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.delasystems.hamradioexamtech&hl=en_US&gl=US
>
> https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ham-radio-exam-tech/id601991935
>

> General: