[ale] Slightly OT: recommendations for VOIP/SIP to replace POTS

neal at mnopltd.com neal at mnopltd.com
Wed Nov 9 21:18:12 EST 2022

Did the free upgrade to AT&T Fiber yesterday.   So far so good.

Since we're closing the company this year, I broke news to my
partner/wife that we really should stop paying AT&T $50/month for the
simulated land line.

We'd like to retain that phone number on a single line SIP, but not
spend so much.

I've started to look at this, and I deduce that just buying a SIP like
this

https://www.amazon.com/Grandstream-WP810-Portable-Wi-Fi-Device/dp/B087D5TB7C/ref=asc_df_B087D5TB7C

Still requires a cloud provider.

Looks like www.3cx.com offers that capability for free for up to 10
lines.   Maybe there are other provides which offer better pricing than
free?

So, seems like this is a viable way of retaining our existing phone
number to ring in the house, and it behaves just like a land line phone,
and no ongoing cost.

Yes?

And are there even better/cheaper approaches?

regards,

Neal