[ale] IPv6 local devices with a prefix that may change

James Sumners james+ale at sumners.email
Fri Nov 4 14:20:23 EDT 2022

I'll answer in my limited capacity based upon what I have done.

First, forget about knowing all of your local addresses. And forget
about static assignments. Each host should be addressed by hostname, and
each host should work out its IPv6 addresses (of which it will have
several).

Second, if you _really_ need to know your local addresses _and_ want
them to be IPv6, look into Unique Local Addresses (ULA)[1]. Be
forewarned, though, that smarter people than me have discovered issues
with those[2].

I actually do have a use case for ULAs that is described in
https://jrfom.com/posts/2022/09/29/unifi-udm-pro-at-home/

In short, all you really should care about is the prefix delegation so
that your devices can be assigned addresses correctly by the discovery
protocols. Let them then register their name in some way.

[1] -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unique_local_address
[2] -- https://twitter.com/jsumners79/status/1576186161063944193