[ale] IPv6 local devices with a prefix that may change

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Fri Nov 4 13:04:05 EDT 2022

This is a purely academic question and thought experiment. It is not
tied to anything I'm doing specifically or at this time.

Every website/how-to/explainer I've ever run across talks about issuing
an IPv6 address to each device with the prefix provided by the router
and that you don't use the equivalent of NAT because IPv6 reasons.

Great, fine, all well and good except no one ever discusses what happens
when your whole network suddenly has its prefix change.  These sites
just seem to assume the prefix is static for all time. Well that works
if you're a company or maybe you're never going to change ISP or move to
another area. Well that's fine for them but it doesn't really apply
precisely to me. I've moved several times in the last ten years and
changed ISPs three times so that prefix would not have been stable.

So suppose this premise:

I write and/or use software for remotely monitoring and controlling
devices (doesn't matter what they are, IoT, computers, printers,
anything) and that software, when it starts up, is going to connect out
to each device it needs to handle. So there's probably a configuration
file that contains all the IP addresses.

Now, under IPv4 they likely would have all been behind NAT and therefore
all have private address range IPs which would be stable no matter what
happened to the NAT device's WAN. But if everyone is now IPv6 and
getting their prefix from the router a change on the WAN affects
everyone downstream.

Suddenly my software has an out-of-date configuration because all the
devices changed out from underneath it.

If one is supposed to do things "The IPv6 Right Way(tm)"/"NAT is bad
mmm-kay?" using the issued prefixes and such, how do I keep my internal
network stable so my software can safely work through WAN changes?