[ale] [OT] Programmer's list?

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Mon May 23 08:26:47 EDT 2022

On 5/22/22 23:29, Steve Litt via Ale wrote:
> Leam Hall via Ale said on Sun, 22 May 2022 06:34:19 -0500
>
>> I find myself with general
>> programming questions and prefer non-language specific answers.
>
> Hi Leam,
>
> You and I could start one. It would be useful in certain situations.
>
> My son, who is basically a suit, is now programming Visual Basic for
> Applications (VBA) with SQL. Sometimes he calls me for advice, which is
> funny because I've never done VBA and SQL isn't one of my strong
> points, yet I can still help him for one simple reason: I know what
> tasks languages can accomplish. So I'm able to think in pseudocode,
> postponing syntax for later.
>
> Another thing: I haven't been a professional developer in the last 18
> years, so I don't program every day. But just for running my business, I
> probably use 4 languages per week, and I have a very poor memory. No
> problem: I know what tasks languages do, so I web search "how to task-a
> in language-b", and in a few minutes I have what I need. If I didn't
> know or understand the basic operations needed to program, I'd be
> helpless.
>
> There's no substitute for memorizing everything about your everyday
> language to do things lightning fast. But when working with a language
> that's auxiliary to you, non-language-specific answers are needed.
>
> Also, I was a professional developer for 20 years, so I learned tasks
> all languages can do. But what about people with only 3 years
> experience? Non-language-specific answers would be good for them too.
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> March 2022 featured book: Making Mental Models: Advanced Edition
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/mmm

Hey Steve,

I'm working on two projects for this sort of thing:

	https://github.com/LeamHall/conversationalCoding

	https://github.com/LeamHall/CoderLifeSkills

Mostly because I know I'm not the best or brightest, but I can often help others along. What's the best way to help others?

Leam

--
Automation Engineer        (reuel.net/resume)
Scribe: The Domici War     (domiciwar.net)