[ale] [OT] Non-compete clauses

Bob Toxen transam at verysecurelinux.com
Tue May 3 22:47:55 EDT 2022

Read carefully and think twice about signing.

In Georgia, if you sign it then you probably are bound by it!  This
certainly is true about the company owning anything you come up with!
If it's really valuable expect them to sue it out of you successfully.

However, generally they can't prevent you from working in your profession,
the courts have ruled.  Thus, you usually can quit and go work for their
competitor but you must not disclose confidential information to the new
company.  Larger companies will ask you when applying to write down existing
areas where you hold confidential information (without disclosing what is
confidential).

However, if you're a contractor using a headhunter, the headhunter can
make you sign an agreement that if you accept a subsequent contract
with the same client they are entitled to their usual percentage.
NOTE that I've had good success insisting that instead of, say, "AT&T"
as the client, I've been able to insist "AT&T, 1000 P'Tree St., Atlanta"
or even "AT&T, 11th Floor, 1000 P'Tree St., Atlanta".

My wisdom is from over 40 years as a programer and security consultant
before my happy retirement in S. FL!

Bob