[ale] [EXTERNAL] Re: UEFI/NVME system won't boot after dead CMOS battery

Bryan L. Gay ale at bryangay.com
Sun Mar 20 06:52:13 EDT 2022

Sounds like the boot entry for your Linux install was a custom entry
in the efivars which got wiped out when you removed the battery.
UEFI boots from the ESP a default entry that references this file:
EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI

This is the file that is typically going to boot Windows, but if
you're not dual-booting, then it won't exist unless you happened to
install and used the --removeable flag with the Grub installer.

I'd suggest looking at efibootmgr to re-create the proper entry.