[ale] Stupid people and DST

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Wed Mar 16 16:02:19 EDT 2022

My preference would be to just get rid of DST. It seems crazy to me that
they ever thought adjusting the time you go to work or school was out of
the question, but the whole country (world) changing their clocks twice a
year was perfectly reasonable. None of the farmers I grew up around cared
about the clock time anyway--they just worked from shortly after sunrise
until it started getting dusk, especially at planting and harvest times.
Most blue collar jobs are 7-3:30 and most office jobs are happy for you to
work 8-4 instead of 9-5 and quite a few will allow 7-3 or 10-6 as well.
There remains retail, restaurants, and other service jobs, but they have
quite varied schedules anyway.

Back when they changed the dates of DST during the 2000s (2007?) it caused
us a huge development headache on a semi-retired product. We had to update
the Java version, which meant we had to change the installer software,
which had gone defunct, so we had to come up with a completely new
installer. I don't remember all the details but there was a multi-cascade
of library changes we had to make that was a huge pain. Changing it again
(to get rid of DST) will cause someone that pain again, I suppose, but I'd
still like it to go away.

DST all year is better than bi-annual clock adjustment, but I'd still
rather get rid of it completely. Let noon remain pretty much at the solar
high point. Schools and businesses can adjust their hours as we go forward.

Scott