[ale] best solution for removing large # of files on NFS share.

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Jun 29 19:49:52 EDT 2022

Jim Kinney via Ale said on Wed, 29 Jun 2022 13:08:52 -0400

>Having been bit by rm before, I now do a mv oldname newname on the dir
>to be removed and let it sit for a day or more to see who screams.
>Same process works in a dir to create a new dir called delete-me and
>mv the files into delete-me. Do a cleanout later after user screams
>subside.

Good idea if newname is on spinning rust with adequate space. IMHO bad
idea if newname is on SSD or NVMe.

>I only care about my efficiency. The computer exists to do my bidding.
>It's nice to not eat up resources on SA stuff, but if it takes "too
>long" to implement, my time is more valuable.

Exactly. Just do it when the computer will be under minimum use for
several hours.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Summer 2022 featured book: Making Mental Models: Advanced Edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mmm