[ale] best solution for removing large # of files on NFS share.

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 11:39:42 EDT 2022

I would *guess* that the "rm" optionwould be faster since it should only look at the root inode. However, if you have six of the, time one each way; it'd be interesting to know.

Leam

On 6/29/22 10:18, Geoffrey Myers via Ale wrote:
> Looking for some advice for the best way to delete a large number of files spread across a large number of directories on an NFS share.  RHEL7
>
> There are 6 directories of the form:
>
> dir1/month/day/hour/minute/
> .
> .
> dir6/month/day/hour/minute/
>

> There are only files in the minute’s directories.
>
> which is a more efficient solution?
>
> 1.	find dir1 -type f -delete
> 2.	rm -rf dir1
>

> Regarding #2, the directories will be recreated by the application.
>
> --
> Until later, Geof

Automation Engineer        (reuel.net/resume)
Scribe: The Domici War     (domiciwar.net)
General Ne'er-do-well      (github.com/LeamHall)