[ale] Retirement (wuz: Accessing Brother scanner from Linux)

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 11:54:05 EDT 2022

Good advice! I've already cross the 60 line, but like programming and don't really have any decent hobbies I want to do more. I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. We've built the habit of living below our income and have no consumer debt. Not a lot in savings, though.

I've worked my career into something I don't really want to retire from. If I'm smart I'll enjoy my life a little more, but going to work isn't that onerous.

Leam

On 6/21/22 09:33, Bob Toxen via Ale wrote:
> One retires when one has enough money to retire comfortably, after a
> realistic look at what things one "has to have" without working for
> more income.  One also must look at one's health, including family
> medical history.  I LOVE programming and computer security but time for
> other things now.  Surprisingly, I don't miss it.  (I still do a little
> and maintain my home network and leased server in NJ.) Yesterday I was
> in the ocean.  I was on Saturday too.
>
> A dear friend never stopped working, saying "I can't afford to retire."
> His doctor made him stop.  He died only about two years after that
> without having a great retirement with his wonderful second wife.
>
> Another friend co-owned a business property where they each had a
> medical practice.  When the co-owner dropped dead of a heart attack at
> 60 my friend decided to retire on his 60th birthday and had a blast!
> It is important to compute how much a year one can spend to last to
> one's estimated end of life.  Contact the Social Security Admin to
> find out what your retirement income will be if you retire at different
> ages.  Yes, there always will be Social Security for us; politicians
> won't risk losing the votes to end it.
>
> Your retirement decision should involve a deep reflection on what one
> really wants to do, where to do it, and how much money it requires.
> You may need more play money as you will have more hours in a day to play.
> Have a plan for how to spend your time that should NOT include TV!
> For me, it includes finishing my big singing Tesla coil and learning to
> play the piano as well as the ocean and travel.
>
> Many people retire to a low-cost-of-living state, though Georgia is near
> the low end here.  My brother retired to Chattanooga, Tennessee on the
> side of a mountain 5 minutes from downtown.  Tennesee and Florida have
> no state income taxes, though FL property taxes are high.  Many parts
> of Florida (and Georgia) have a low cost of living.  South Florida where
> I now live not so much!
>
> Do you need to buy a new high-end car every few years?  What about other
> expensive things?  A consultant once said: If you want to buy something
> expensive, maybe a house on a lake, new car, etc. do the following.
> Compute hour hourly take home salary by knocking off 33% of your annual
> income for Fed income taxes.  Maybe add 6% for GA state taxes, totalling
> about 40%.  Then divide by the standard 2000 hour work year.  Lastly,
> divide the cost of that item by your take home hourly rate.  That is
> the number of hours of your life that you must work to have that thing.
> All of a sudden many things are not nearly so important.
>
> All should be saving a substantial portion of one's income in retirement
> savings, such as an IRA or Roth IRA.  Spend the time to watch your
> investments and change as needed.  Yeah, the economy and stock market
> and real estate is all coming down but try to save still.

> [...]

Automation Engineer        (reuel.net/resume)
Scribe: The Domici War     (domiciwar.net)
General Ne'er-do-well      (github.com/LeamHall)