[ale] [OT] Recommendations for (somewhat cheap) digital cameras?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 16:35:36 EDT 2022

I got digital camera and it came with a free cell phone!

I've not noticed a collection of digital camerayon my infrequent runs to MicroCenter or Target in quite a while. They ones I did see seemed either really cheap crap or high end.

I have an old Nikon that might benefit from one of these:
https://petapixel.com/2020/04/13/the-im-back-35-lets-you-add-a-digital-sensor-to-your-old-film-camera/

On June 15, 2022 2:43:16 PM EDT, Allen Beddingfield via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>Somewhat off-topic question:  Any recommendation for inexpensive
>digital cameras?
>Up until recently, there were tons of fairly good sub $200 point and
>shoot digital cameras that had some optical zoom capability.  Nikon,
>Olympus, Canon, Minolta, Sony, Panasonic, etc... were all making them.
>Now, Kodak is the only recognizable brand name in that price range.
>I've never used anything but Nikon, but they seem to be beyond my price
>range, if they are available at all.  The rest seem to be in the
>$300-400 range.
>I'm okay going up to that price range, if needed.  Anyone have
>good/bad/indifferent experience with any of the current offerings?  I
>know the increasing quality of cell phone cameras has mostly killed the
>cheap digital camera market, but I really hate fumbling around in a
>phone menu to take  a picture.  Usually by the time I get my phone
>unlocked, find the app, fumble around in it, etc ....the subject has
>long since moved.  Also, my ultra-cheap android phone has a terrible
>camera, and by the time I zoom in, the photo is so grainy it looks more
>like a paint by number painting than a photo.  I really want motorized
>optical zoom.
>Sigh, I wish my old 7MP Nikon from 18 years ago hadn't finally worn out
>lol
>Allen B.
>
>--
>Allen Beddingfield