[ale] You know you're getting old....

Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net
Sat Jul 16 02:21:49 EDT 2022

Note that you can run into COBOL in unexpected places.  Back when I was
working for a payment processing company (the guys who install credit
card terminals in stores), we had a situation where we needed to
periodically process a data file, which came from an IBM mainframe.  The
only definition for the layout of the data (which were variable-length
records, to boot) was a COBOL copybook (a file containing the COBOL
definitions of the fields).  We at the time were using Clarion.
Happily, I knew COBOL, as it was one of the first languages I used in a
work situation.  I ended up writing a set of 4 Perl scripts which would
read the COBOL, generate the equivalent Clarion layout code, generate
code to do the necessary EBCDIC-to-ASCII conversions, document the
fields where the E-to-A conversions might have to be done by hand
(because there were overlapping groups, and which group might be
actually in use wasn't obvious), and wrapped up the whole thing in a
Clarion template.  Clarion programs needing to read that file just
needed to use that template.

Ben
--
Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net | For the wise man, doing right trumps