[ale] Where do you mount NFS storage?

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 12:03:36 EST 2022

I once worked at a large place that mounted /usr/bin and /usr/sbin via NFS. Like, large numbers of servers; no one seemed to know how many they actually had.

Leam

On 1/29/22 16:19, Jim Kinney via Ale wrote:
> That's a common place on the nfs server to host from that's easy to remember.
>
> On the client side it's all about where it's needed. For diskless nodes, it's / with tmpfs overlays for local writes. It's all over the place client side.
>
> On January 29, 2022 4:03:01 PM EST, Boris Borisov via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>
>      From using ltsp.org <http://ltsp.org> project a while ago if I recall was under /export/ltsp
>
>     On Sat, Jan 29, 2022, 16:00 DJPfulio--- via Ale <ale at ale.org <mailto:ale at ale.org>> wrote:
>
>         When I look through the current (2015) version of the Linux File System Hierarchy Standards
>         https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/index.html <https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/index.html>
>         There isn't any mention about NFS storage.
>
>         Where do you mount NFS storage on your systems?  Mainly interested in home users, but if a corporation does it, that would be good too.
>
>         Over the decades, I've seen NFS mounted in these locations:
>         * /nfs/{directory/project} - generic storage for different teams
>         * /u/{username} - HOME directories using autofs
>         * /u/u1/{username} - HOME directories using autofs for use sites where multiple mounts are needed because there are 200-10K users.
>         * /export/home/ ... for all HOME directories in a small site.
>         * /export/{directory/project}
>         * /d/{directory} - this is my current method so the path is short, but easily adding more storage with a directory/partition/volume can be identical on the NFS server and all the clients.
>
>         And assorted places, as needed, like /usr/local/. Much easier to have all appimages and x86-64 binaries in a single location with settings that are in /usr/local/etc/.
>
>         I mount static webfiles read-only to a web server under /var/www/{site-name}/pub/ (or static/).
>
>         Where do you mount NFS storage?
>         Also, which OS is this for?  All my NFS today is Ubuntu for the clients and servers.

> Computers amplify human error
> Super computers are really cool

Site Automation Engineer   (reuel.net/resume)
Scribe: The Domici War     (domiciwar.net)
General Ne'er-do-well      (github.com/LeamHall)