[ale] System security

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 19:54:43 EST 2022

I'm 99.5% certain that a script or binary owned by a deleted user (user removed from system but user ID number not reassigned so just a bare UID) is not runable by any means other than root assuming not set 755. System applications, like postgresql or nginx, have a user. This situation there is no user, no entry in ldap or passwd, no shell, nothing.

If there's a reference to back this up, my google-fu is apparently weak. Pointers highly welcome.

Sudden departures of persons with sysadmin status and full sudo to root everywhere are a pain.
--
Computers amplify human error
Super computers are really cool