[ale] OT: failed SSD and Windows

Joey Kelly joey at joeykelly.net
Tue Feb 8 18:59:41 EST 2022

On Tuesday, February 8, 2022 5:42:40 PM CST Boris Borisov via Ale wrote:
> I was just pointing the model.
>
> The choice is not up to me.

Yeah, that's the start of my sob story. We put out 70 routers on near-shore
vessels around the globe. The guy running the project insisted we save $20 per
drive, against my advice. So the Corsair units, after a couple of months,
they'd act as if internally the data was like a chess board, and someone
bumped the table, shifting a bunch of pieces over a square or two. Running
fsck would fix it, but a week or so later the data got shoved around again.
The drives were useless.

Replacement? Oh, around $3k per drive (the vessels were offshore in Africa,
Viet Nam and all sorts of inaccessible places unless a lot of money was spent
flying a tech to the country in question, then several day's travel to get to
the boats. What fun. Never again will I use cheap parts.

--Joey