[ale] Back to new the desktop question

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Dec 18 02:39:59 EST 2022

Alex Carver via Ale said on Sat, 17 Dec 2022 12:00:29 -0800

>A hacky fix is to cut into the 5V USB power line that goes to the card
>reader and add a switch on the front panel. That lets you keep the
>card reader turned off (and thus ignored during boot) until you need
>it then you can flip the switch to "plug it in" while maintaining the
>benefit of the panel-mounted slots instead of an external reader.

1978-1985 I repaired audio equipment for a living. I made or repaired
twenty to sixty solder joints a day. But I wouldn't solder in a laptop
unless it was hopelessly broken, too expensive to fix, and I was
soldering as a Hail Mary to revive it. Today's ultra-thin trace,
multilayer boards require special equipment and special skills to
solder with acceptable risk.

SteveT

Steve Litt