[ale] Back to new the desktop question

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 07:19:15 EST 2022

Well, after a bout of illness that I'm still recovering from, I'm back to this. Here's what I have so far, and the questions that I know of. If I'm missing something, please let me know.

Recommendations so far:

AMD Ryzen CPU (I like AMD anyway)
   - If the 5600G will run the two video connectors on the B550, then is a video card needed?
   - https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-5600x

Radeon Video Card (Not Nvidia), if get the 5600x

Full tower case, at least mid tower
   - Power supply?
   - Quiet fans for cooling
   - Space for SATA drives

ASUS B550 mobo
   - NVMe OS drive (MBR boot)
   - Intel NIC (not Realtek)
   - https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ROG-B550-F-Motherboard-Addressable/dp/B088W7RKVZ

Needs:
   - Case?
   - Power supply?
   - Suggestions on RAM vendors to get/avoid

Thanks!

Leam

On 12/4/22 14:32, Steve Litt via Ale wrote:
> Leam Hall via Ale said on Sun, 4 Dec 2022 08:26:16 -0600
>

>> Hadn't thought about NVME drives, but that would work. My entire
>> install, absent backup drives, is less that 100 GB. Do motherboards
>> support both NVME and internal rust? Or would the rust need to be on
>> USB?
>
> The rust would be on SATA. I have NVMe on NVMe, and spinning rust on
> SATA.
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> Autumn 2022 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/bookstore/thrive.htm

Automation Engineer        (reuel.net/resume)
Scribe: The Domici War     (domiciwar.net)
General Ne'er-do-well      (github.com/LeamHall)